100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Saturday, November 25, 2017

New Traditions

Since we are away from family for the holidays, we have to create our own traditions.  For the last two years, we have organized the Turner Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, a fun run around our Freedom Circle.  I measured the distance around so that everyone could choose how many laps they wanted to go.  I only run once a year at family fun runs so I was totally happy with 8 times around, just over 3 miles.  Bub has turned into an excellent runner and he did 15 laps, about 5.8 miles.  We finished off with hot chocolate, sweet rolls, and muffins.

Since Josh was on TDY for most of November, I knew that I would not feel like planning a big dinner at our house.  We took full advantage of the Thanksgiving buffet at the club on base.  I did not mind the lack of prep work or clean up and the kids got to eat whatever they wanted for as long as they wanted.  We took two LDS missionaries serving in Towada with us to the buffet.  Elder Jensen had served in our ward a few months ago so it was fun to reconnect with him.  I really enjoy including the Elders for Thanksgiving dinner as my father was invited to Thanksgiving dinner on base in 1972 while he was serving his LDS mission in the area.  I feel like it is a small way that I can give back and connect with him.  It is nice to be able to give the Elders a bit of their traditions from home because Japan does not celebrate Thanksgiving.  Unless they are serving near Misawa, Thanksgiving is just a normal Thursday.  We always love the gospel message the Elders share, this time about being grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The missionaries are catching their train back to Towada- Elder Jensen and Elder Kaku


No comments:

Post a Comment