100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Tribute to Earl Kartchner

My grandfather, Earl Kartchner, is a remarkable man.  I have the lucky privilege of being the first grandchild so I always felt I held a special honor, if only to have been able to spend the most time with my grandfather.  I spent many weekends at my grandparent's house for sleepovers.  These are some of my favorite memories.  I remember one time I asked him to read me a book.  He very animatedly told me about about all the pictures in the book. I wanted him to read me the words but I did not stop him because he was so excited about those pictures.  Grandpa loves his grand-kids and it shows in his words and actions.  
Summer 2016
I treasure my memories of Moon Lake with grandpa and my grandma.  Grandpa taught me how to fish since my father was not here to do so.  He was very patient as he showed me how to properly cast. He was always kind and gentle in his instruction and direction.  Whenever I go fishing with my son, I think of my grandpa and lazy days at Moon Lake.  Grandpa loves the beauties of nature and shared this love with us all.
Easter 2009
 I loved watching grandpa play the violin as a child. He had such passion for music which he passed on to my dad and which was passed on to me.  He had a passion for all the arts which he shared with me because I have that passion as well.  He asked me about my ballet and shared music from famous ballets with me. He also would show me clips of Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and others, and would get very emotional watching the beautiful performers.  As I have developed my teaching skills in yoga, he remained interested, always discussing the form and artistry of the discipline with me.  Grandpa loves the beautiful things in life.
At Bryce and Claire Kartchner's wedding- October 2014
I find myself across the ocean from my grandpa, unable to say goodbye and hug him.  I did not anticipate this sacrifice of my husband's military service.  I am grateful that he is surrounded by those he loves and that he has many, my father included, waiting for him in the eternities. I send my love across the sea.    

No comments:

Post a Comment