100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Thursday, August 18, 2016

First Summer in Misawa

We have finished our first summer in Misawa.  We have been here for about two months and are settling in.  Our house is sung but holds all our things with a little room to spare.  I like it better now that we have our pictures on the wall and all the boxes unpacked.  I do sometimes feel that I am moving backward though in my progress as an adult.  I have sold two homes, have downsized my square footage in the last two moves, and am now using a folding table and chairs and in my kitchen.  But I live in Japan.  I guess you trade one thing for another.

I enjoy the convenience of having the kids activities five minutes away from our house.  This summer the kids have participated in community theater, soccer camp, karate camp, cheer leading camp, and Vacation Bible School. They have enjoyed summer days and nights out in the green circle behind our house, being with friends, and being carefree summer kids.  We have spent days at the beach, both the base beach of Lake Ogawara, and the pacific ocean beach.  It is strange to be at the ocean at sunset though as the sun sets on the shore side, not the ocean side.  It is still wet, and huge, and lovely. We have attended festivals, both right outside our gate in Misawa and in Aomori.  There is a festival in Japan somewhere for most of the summer weekends.  I love the colors, the sounds, the clothing, the food, and the culture at the festivals.

I have been struck with the feeling many times that I am meant to be here, among these people. There are no coincidences in life.  It took some amazing circumstances to bring us to Japan, to the place that my father lived 40 years before me.  I have at times struggled with the feeling of being untethered, to my Heavenly home, to both of my Fathers that are there.  I get stuck in the monotony of being a mom and a wife as I do the laundry, run the errands, and make food all day.  I sometimes wonder what the point is.  But then I find myself here and I see these people.  I feel my father, I recognize my Heavenly Father's hand in my life, and I know that I am not alone.

Tanabata Festival in Misawa


Pacific Ocean- 15 min from our house

Nebuta Festival in Aomori



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I'm jealous of your adventure (sometimes I get panicky that I might live in Utah the rest of my life). I know you're amazing at handling new things, even typhoons. I think it's wonderful that you're in a special place with a special connection to your father. Good luck! I'm sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Maggie! It is always good to hear from you. I run through my list of reassurances daily- I have a folding table and chairs in my kitchen but I live in Japan. I have no real roots anywhere but I am exploring a new place that I would never get in live in without the military. Don't we just exchange one thing for another? I guess the key is that we try to be happy wherever we are at the moment. Because the moments pass and we move on. I was happy in Brookside with you, Mandy, Sharese, and doing yoga in my living room. Now that is all changed and everyone has moved on. Sigh... Good thing we have the internet! Take care of everyone in your family. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete