100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sapporo LDS Temple

We traveled to Sapporo Japan for the open house of the new LDS temple there.  We took a train from Misawa to Hachinohe, the Shinkansen (bullet) train to Hakodate, and then a third train to Sapporo.  We did not understand the ticketing at all and just showed our tickets each time to the attendants.  Thank goodness we could at least gesture at each other. Our hotel in Sapporo, Hotel Clubby, was classy. We had four twin beds and they provided pj's, slippers, and a buffet breakfast. Across the street was a huge mall, Sapporo Factory. It had tons of places to eat and I was relieved that Pants finally tried ramen noodles and shrimp tempura. Maybe she will not starve here after all!
Train travelers

Hotel Clubby, Sapporo

Look at us trying new foods on the train!  My kids have amazed me with their adventurous eating.
My thoughts have been drawn to my dad a lot these last few weeks, especially as we are here in Sapporo for the LDS temple open house. He served his mission in this area of Japan from 1972-1974.  At the time his mission was called Japan East. He had Thanksgiving dinner at Misawa AFB, served in Hakadate, Tomakomai, and Sapporo, cities that I traveled through to get to Sapporo.
My dad had a love for life

Elder Mark Kartchner (sunglasses) with companion "Spud"
So many times since I have arrived here I have wished for his presence. I have wished that I could ask him my millions of questions about the culture and language, and that I could feel his excitement about the places I will see and visit. He would have been thrilled that there is now a temple in Sapporo because he served and taught these beautiful people. He would have probably attended the open house with us.  I want so badly to know that he is with us in this adventure and sometimes I am sad that I came here 40 years after him when he has already left us behind. I need the wisdom that he would have shared with me.  As I watched the Japanese people at the temple, I wondered if any of them knew my father and were taught by him. I pray that I may come to know some of them, somehow, in my three years here.  I am grateful that my mother and father were sealed for eternity in the Salt Lake Temple so that my family is connected on this earth and in the eternities after.  My father is waiting for us there and we will be able to share this experience someday.
Sapporo LDS Temple

Beautiful Japanese gardens around the temple


Our Eternal Family


Exploring the Sapporo Maruyuma Zoo





We stumbled onto a Shinto shrine just outside the zoo on a nature path.  The trees were so thick and tall that it was dark inside.  

1 comment: