100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Exploring Misawa

Josh took us outside of base on our second day in Misawa.  Right away I could tell I was not in the US.  The roads are narrow, the signage is all in Japanese, the architecture is different, the bushes are manicured in the houses, and the cars are different.  We went to Universe, a Japanese grocery store.  We could not read a single label and we had fun guessing at what to buy for lunch.  We did a pretty good job and the food was tasty!
Universe Market food
Josh took us to Homac, a store like Walmart, and then it was out to Miss Veedo Beach to see the memorial of the first Transpacific flight made by two American Pilots.  This is a big deal in Misawa and many of the street signs have the plane pictured.  I loved to see the ocean.  I love the sounds, the smells, and the feel of the moisture on my skin.  It was a foggy and chilly day but the kids had no trouble collecting shells on the beach.
Miss Veedo Memorial
The concrete slabs are used slow the riptide
We ate dinner at Kappa Sushi where no one spoke English but it did not matter as we ordered on a touch screen and all the sushi came around to the tables on a conveyor belt.  When we did make a touch screen order, the food was brought out on a tiny train.  The kids were thrilled to see the food go around and hear the train as it traveled from table to table.  I think this will be a favorite restaurant just for it's novelty.  So, we had a taste of Japan today. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I will be living in this beautiful place for three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment