100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Sunday, April 6, 2014

COT Graduation

I traveled to Montgomery, AL to attend Josh's COT graduation proceedings.  On Thursday (4/3) I attended the family meeting.  This was a good overview about what to expect from military life.  They had a presenter from the Airman and Family Readiness Center (a one stop shopping for all things related to the family), Tri-Care (the Health Care provider), and the Legal Assistance Program.  Then they had a spouse panel.  It was good to ask some questions about schools, base life, ways to get involved with other spouses, and family vacations.   The meeting concluded and we were excused to the retreat ceremony.  This was the first time I saw Josh.  He was wearing his blues and looked so great!  The officers stood at attention as we sang the national anthem and the Air Force song.  Then the flag was lowered.  

He looks so good!  About third row in the middle
In the evening I attended the Dining In with Josh.  He wore his formal mess dress.  The dining was a formal affair with rules of conduct and respect given to the visiting General.  We toasted to the US Flag, the Commander-in-Chief, to the Air Force staff, and to the comrades killed or missing in action. The dinner was also light-hearted and silly.  The officers performed skits about their time in training, so a lot of inside jokes.  We were not able to clap but had to tap our spoons on the table.  Then they opened the Grog.  The President of the dinner called for officers to relay infractions that needed to be addressed.  The Officer would stand and in rhyme, relay an infraction.  Then the offender would need to respond in rhyme his/her rebuttal and the President would decide if one or both would go to the grog.  One bowl was set up with alcoholic beverage and one with non-alcoholic.  The offenders salute the president, about face and fill a glass, about face and shout, “to the mess.”  The audience would respond, “What a mess.”  Then the offenders would drink the glass in one swig, tip the glass over their head to show that it was empty, about face and put the cup down, about face and salute the president again.  If any of these steps were done incorrectly, the offenders would need to repeat.  It was a very humorous even that is steeped in military tradition.  We were addressed by General Timothy Zadalis and his speech filled me with a sense of nationalism and pride.  In closing we toasted him and sang the Air Force song.  
Formal Mess Dress

The Grog!  Josh is third one from the Left in the back 
Friday was the awards presentation ceremonies.  This was the graduation day for Josh.  We first met in his flight room so this was an intimate presentation with the group that Josh has spent so much time with.  He received his graduation certificate from his flight leader, Captain Wilinski.  Then we all convened to the auditorium for the awards presentation.  Josh’s squadron, Falcon, received the award of Honor Squadron for having the best over-all scores during the training period.  Next we went to the field of the military parade.  This was stunning to me.  I was filled with a sense of pride and nationalism as I watched the formations, the order, and the respect paid of the flag and fellow service men.  The graduates repeated the oath of office and then threw their covers (hats) in the air as they were done!  Josh said goodbye to everyone and gathered his things so that we could fly home.
Josh with Captain Wilinski receiving his graduation certificate



During my time at graduation, I felt a great sense of community among the Officers.  I liked talking to them, hearing where they were going, what had brought them into the military, and their plans for their first duty station. I am sure this sense of community came because we all had a common goal.  This weekend has made me excited to see how my life is going to be for the next four years.

            

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    I found your blog while googling information on spouse/family events during graduation week for COT. My husband is graduating from COT next week but I have yet to receive any information, especially regarding the spouse/family orientation. Should I have received something by now? (The Air University website mentions that the "Training Squadron Commander mails invitations to trainee’s spouses in the last few weeks of training" so I'm getting a bit nervous.)

    Sorry to bother you, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask someone who has experienced it themselves. I'm just worried I'm going to be left out of something important. Any insight you can provide would be really helpful. Advanced thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I appreciate your concern because I never got any good information either. I don't believe I ever received an invitation. I had to get all my info from my husband and the website for graduation week info. It was not helpful at all so I hear your frustration! I attended the Spouse/family orientation and it was really helpful. They held it on the Thursday before graduation day. It was especially helpful for me because this was our first experience in the military. My husband did not enlist, just entered as an officer. I think I received information the schedule for the weekend events at the Family meeting. I feel like I am not being too helpful. I know I just had to hound my husband for information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for responding! Your answer helps me out a lot. I wanted to know if there was an official invitation for the family orientation. This way, I could determine whether it was appropriate or not for me to just show up at the OTS campus Thursday morning at 9am for family orientation. :)

      My husband is also a direct appointment into the AF, not prior military, so I think I am going to benefit from attending the family orientation.

      Anyway, thanks again! Hope our paths cross again in the future.

      Delete
  4. Glad a helped a little! Definitely just show up to the orientation. They were really casual about it during my COT experience. Good luck on your first assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I enjoyed reading about COT graduation. Quick question- I am attending COT later this year. At the formal dinner did u see anyone who had active duty spouses? My husband is Enlisted SF and wondered if it was custom for him to wear his mess dress too? Thanks so much!
    -kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked my husband too and we don't remember seeing any spouses in mess dress. My husband suggests when you are at COT, just ask your flight commander what is customary. I say the more mess dress the better but I don't know anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the response, One more question- How many family members are allowed to attend the usaa dinner and dining out dinner? I have my husband and three other family members attending my graduation, would all four be allowed to attend the dinners? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I am enjoying reading your clog as my husband will be going to COT within a few months. We have 5 children ages 3-7. You are giving me lots of insight as to what to expect as an AF family. One question though.... did you bring your kids with you for the graduation and if so, what did you do with them during the formal night and the spouse orientation?? I want them to be there but not sure how it will all work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am glad you found my blog. I put it out there to help people. I did not take my children to COT Graduation although I did see others with kids there at the spouse orientation and the graduation. I do not know what happened to these kids as there were no kids at the formal night. I was able to have my mom watch my children at home. Sorry, not much help here. I did find the spouse orientation to be very beneficial as I had not been raised in a military life and this was all new to us. Good luck with it all!

      Delete
  9. Hello!

    I have been searching for information for the COT graduation. My sister will be graduating June 22nd and I am starting to look into flight info. Do you remember what time things were going on Thursday and what time graduation activities were on Friday? Any info would be great! Thank you in advance. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for your question. I don't remember specific times but I think the family meeting was mid afternoon because we had time to change for the evening dining in. I lived in Utah so I just flew from there Thursday morning and was there in time for the family meeting. I believe they served us lunch though so it might have been earlier. The graduation ceremony got started early Friday morning. We left that day but I think they told us not to schedule a flight before 2:00pm. I hope I am telling you right! Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
    2. That helps a lot. Thank you! I really had no idea there was activities on Thursday. I will definitely book an earlier flight!

      Delete
    3. Oh! I actually do have another question. Did you travel home by yourself? I don't think I should book my sisters flight home... right?

      Delete