100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Monday, February 8, 2021

Deployment through COVID- The Waiting Phase

Written 8/2020

So far, I don't think Josh's deployment has been a typical one.  It is hard for us to tell exactly because we have never done a deployment before.  But it is pretty clear that things would have worked a little more smoothly for Josh had he not been trying to move around in a pandemic. He arrived in Germany at Ramstein base on July 12th and finally left the base on August 31st.  He spent seven weeks running and walking outside, hanging out in his hotel room, walking the mall, and getting food to eat in his room alone.  It may sound nice to have so much free time, but it got old quickly.  Finally, Josh was able to get all medical clearances needed and the authorization from a General to leave with 16 others.  They took a shuttle to Spangdahlem Air Base and flew in a rotator to Djibouti, Africa where they check everyone coming to the east side of Africa for COVID.  Josh was tested for COVID, cleared, and allowed to leave quarantine.  By the time 2020 is over, he will have done half the year in quarantine or isolation!  Now he is waiting for an open seat on a plane to Kenya. 

Some unexpected blessings came for us during this strange phase of Josh's deployment:

1. While he was awake, we had unlimited access to Josh through FaceTime.  I called him when I first woke up, he read scriptures to us while we ate our breakfast, we told him goodnight as the kids were getting home from school and he was able to share in their day.  He was "with" us as we made the difficult transition back to school in COVID times.  He participated in our Come Follow Me program every Sunday via Zoom.  We will miss this interaction moving forward as I am sure it will be different now.  

2. I have been very aware that there are prayers being offered on my behalf.  There are not many things that people can do for me, I just have to go through the motions of the day.  Some days it was a push and a huge energy drain for me to meet the needs of the household and the kids.  But there were other days when I would finish my work, look at the clock, and think, "did I miss something?  How can I be done already?"  I know that I am not alone in this.  

3. I knew that the kids and I would probably gel but I did not anticipate the extent that I could rely on them.  My kids are a bit older- Bear 14, Bub 12, Pants 9, so I can talk and plan with them.  Instead of discussing all my issues with Josh and telling the kids, I bring my issues to the kids.  I am still the boss, but they are old enough to help me see possible solutions.  I can give them a checklist and assume that the things will be finished.  So many tasks that I used to handle alone, I am now giving over to them.  They are rising to the occasion and I think it boosts their confidence a bit too.

Stop at Sigonella Naval Air Base on the way to Djibouti

View of Italy from the Boeing 747 Rotator

Arriving in Djibouti

Living units where Josh waits- CLU (stands for something)

Josh was on the third floor of one of these units

Josh finally got to leave Djibouti on September 6th and arrived at Camp Simba in Kenya.  He rode in the back of the plane above- somewhere between the Humvee and the rest of the cargo.  It is unlikely that he will get to leave base while he is there but he can gaze at Kenya from the fence. Now it is time to get to work!

Kids herding goats outside the fence

Frequent visitors of Camp Simba.  Watch out, they will steal food right out of your hand!

Are you in preparing for a deployment or in the midst of one?  Get my Top 10 List for Surviving Deployment here! https://www.yogatraveler.net/top-10-tips-to-survive-deployment

No comments:

Post a Comment