100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Thoughts on Las Vegas

As time goes by, we adjust to things in Las Vegas.  I am still getting used to the weather.  It is October 11th and the daily temperatures remain in the high 80's.  As I was going through the kids clothing boxes to make sure they have a few pants for when we go to Utah next weekend, I discovered cute long sleeved Halloween shirts.  The kids wore them to school on Friday even though it was 88 degrees.  Halloween is my favorite holiday and even though I am all decorated inside the house and out, it feels so different at 90 degrees.  I miss the crisp fall scents and the smell of food canning in the house.  I am not sure how to can here as I do not understand the seasons of growth.  I am going to make this a goal for next.  This year is all about getting settled and finding our place.


I like to ask local people why they enjoy living here.  Today I attended a Kappa Kappa Gamma Founder's Day tea with the Southern Nevada Alumni Association.  I really enjoyed talking to the women who have raised their kids here.  One woman has a beautiful garden and grows lettuce and spinach year round.  I will have to learn from her.  She also felt when she was raising her kids that the Las Vegas Strip was a great cultural experience for them.  They could visit a pyramid (the Luxor), explore an artistic conservatory (the Belagio), float in a gondola (the Venetian), and watch a volcano erupt (the Mirage).  I have to admit that I have never thought of the Strip as a family cultural experience.
"Staycation" at the Mirage where the kids saw the white tigers, dolphins, and volcano.  They did love it!


Perhaps more profound was the conversation that I had with a woman in one of my Zumba classes at the YMCA. She is LDS and has lived in Las Vegas her whole life.  When I asked her why she liked it here, she said, "I have the strip 20 min from my home in one direction, and the temple 20 min in the other. I get to decide what side I am on."  This gave me the chills.  I like the idea that I have the power to choose which way I point my gaze.  "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." -Joshua 24:15.
Las Vegas Temple

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about you "finding your place" in Las Vegas. It is very different from here and definitely has perks of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am starting to discover that! I think I am impatient so I feel like I should have all my favorites discovered today. Little by little...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been missing you like crazy since October came around. I'm glad you're so pro active in finding happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maggie, me too! It is just not the same here but we are trying. I miss Jakers and book club. I hope that you have a great season and send me pictures of your family Halloween costumes. I always look forward to your creativity!

    ReplyDelete