100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Adventuring with Family During Deployment

 Written 9/9/2020

When I asked some of my friends what they did to survive during deployment, many of them said they planned something to look forward to every month.  This idea quickly caught on in my mind because I like to have an outing or event on the books at all times.  The world of COVID has made adventuring a  little bit difficult as plans keep getting cancelled and we do not want to take unnecessary risks.  On our list to do was a meet up halfway with our Utah Turner cousins.  We loaded up on masks, hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes, and hit the road to Denver, Colorado.  

It is easy to travel with my kids ages 14, 12, and 9.  I feel a lot of freedom and sense of empowerment when we venture out together.  My kids are great helpers and I think they are mostly aware that I may need a little more help with Dad being gone.  I also realize that there are things that I do well, and things that my husband does well.  I am really good at planning a minute by minute trip itinerary, eating out, staying at hotels, and collecting treats and souvenirs along the way. These are the adventures that I was raised with as a kid.   My husband is a bit more flexible and he brings a different kind of energy to the party.  I am all control and he is more spontaneous and go with the flow.  I worry sometimes that I will not be able to both things for my kids.  So a great solution to this quandary is meeting up with others.  Then we have all sorts of energy and skills thrown into the pot and it makes for a wonderful time.  

These big cousins are so excited to be together again after a year

These two cuties were like two little peas in a pod all weekend

Reunion with the Bloom family, best friends from Nellis.  Being in the military means you have family everywhere!





These crazy girls took me on a ride!  My arms and shoulder were sore for days.

I just loving watching the kids play together

The Denver Church of Jesus Christ Temple.  This was the temple Josh and I attended during his Master's program.  We were just kids then!


Are you in preparing for a deployment or in the midst of one?  Get my Top 10 List for Surviving Deployment here! https://www.yogatraveler.net/top-10-tips-to-survive-deployment

2 comments:

  1. We made your blog! It was so great to see you, and we are beyond blessed to be part of your military family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did! I don't think it is the first time you are one here either! We love to visit you guys. We do feel very blessed by being a part of a military family and the loved ones we meet along the way.

      Delete