100 Top Military Wife Blogs

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Sapporo Ice Festival

Since we arrived in Misawa, we wanted to make it to the Sapporo Snow Festival.  A big draw for me is that my father once attended while on his LDS mission.  He was at the festival in 1973, the 46th Festival.  We were attended the 70th Annual Festival. I don't have a picture of him at the festival to share because he took his pictures in slides.  I do have this jem from his mission:

I have not wanted to think of this year's experiences as my "lasts."  I do know that I will keenly miss the connection I feel to my father when I am with the Japanese people at a festival. It has been a joy to travel to some of the places that he lived and taught in this amazing culture.

We were extremely cold at the festival.  The kids seemed to enjoy it only when we were playing on the ice slides or getting free samples of apple cider and onigiri (rice balls).  I did wonder at one point while people, namely me, would choose to travel to a snowy, ice covered place.
Stage for entertainment

Wall of ice



The detail on the sculptures was amazing


Favorite Japanese characters- Sumikko gurashi

Favorite characters- Pokemon 

I think this sculpture was the big draw but the kids were too cold to enjoy it. 
Luckily, under Odori Park is a subway line with lots of retail stores and restaurants.  We stayed under until we warmed up enough to enjoy our day again.  And when we emerged, we found ourselves in the land of glittering ice.

Ice sculpture for the upcoming Hina Festival on March 3rd



We found their initials carved in ice!




Frozen fish suspended in the ice wall

Thank goodness for warm ramen in Ramen Alley!
Another draw of traveling to Sapporo is having the opportunity to visit the temple.  This time Josh took Bear to do baptisms.  They did lots of family names and Josh got to baptize Bear and a Japanese youth. He tested his Japanese name deciphering skills.



We traveled over to the Tsudome Snow Play area.  They had a huge sledding hill for tubes, a snow maze, an area to make and display mini snowmen, snow sculptures, ice slides, and tube rides behind a snow mobile.  Again, we got cold, but I think the kids had fun while the sun was shining.






2 comments:

  1. George loved the festival as well. He wept when he read this. He misses your dad, too. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am sorry the post made George sad. It is such a bittersweet thing to be here, feeling dad's presence but not being able to call him. I have had so many questions about the culture and little things they say and do and I would have loved to call him up and learn from him. I am sure he would have visited many times and that would have been wonderful too. I am glad that my mom has been able to come and see us here.

    ReplyDelete